Tuesday, February 23, 2010

Kicking the Carbs!

So as most of you know I've eaten a pretty bad diet in my university career, rice, rice with salt and pepper, got scurvy, decided to add vegetable mix, got tired of that and went to intense amounts of pasta and soup, etc.
Now that I've been on this crossfit training program with nick the effects of that diet are really showing in terms of how slowly I build muscle and my stupidly high heart rate.
As a student, I've never been able to justify changing my diet from an economic standpoint until now. Norway's food prices are structured differently so that cabbage is pretty much just as expensive as pasta, and so that canned soup is far beyond my budget. Instead powdered flavour and REAL meats and vegis are relative to soup, much cheaper. Thus i am replacing all of my pasta and rice with cabbage and all of my chunky soups with real vegis and meats.
Today is day 1, I just made a slop (somewhere between a soup and a stew) consisting of:

1/2 a head of cabbage
400g of Torsk (Cod Fish)
1/2 an onion
2 cloves of garlic
chicken soup powder

I fried everything but the soup in a pan until it browned and mix nicely, while I did this I mixed the soup mix with water and boiled it. Then I poured the soup into the pan and did what Nick calls "braising". Anyways I tasted damn good and I don't have that feeling of death like I did after eating a comparable amount of pasta. It seems like a win win situation (except for nick who has to live next door to my on a high protein/cabbage/onion/garlic diet, any of you who know how i react to food will know that I'm not his favourite person right now :p )

who knows maybe I'll live past the grand age of 30 on this diet :P

Anyways, I have 1 pic posted on flicker

http://www.flickr.com/photos/jasonmader/4381614637/

No comments:

Post a Comment